During today's class, the lesson and discussion revolved around speech events which are basically defined as structured activities governed by rules for use of speech. Also, the 10 parts of a speech event was explained, with examples given. As I look back on today's lesson, I began to have a clearer picture of what a speech event constitutes and how speech events helps us to understand more about a culture or a group of people.
When Dr Deng taught in greater details about the various components of speech events, I was intrigued by the fact how these components actually shape and form the speech events. For example, the setting of the speech event can actually greatly affects the speech event itself. Take for instance, when a person make a speech in a classroom as compared to when that same person make a speech in a huge auditorium in front of a few hundred people. I am sure the manner in which he starts off his speech, as well as the actual contents of his speech will vary greatly. There may even be more pauses or stammering when he speaks in front of a larger audience size.
The other issue I found interesting in today's class is when we talked about a specific speech event, like the Japanese marriage proposal. As I found out in today's class, there are actually quite a number of hidden rules as to how a guy should propose to a lady in the Japanese context. It makes me wonder how these hidden rules came about and why some people still hold on to these rules subconsciously. Why does it have to be the male who proposes to the female first? Can't it be the other way round? I thought females are arguing for equality treatment in the modern context, so if we want to be truly equal, any party can initiate a marriage, right?
Also, I feel that perhaps the idea of kneeling down when proposing shows the sincerity and respect one has towards the other, and also the solemnness, spirituality and trust in this new commitment which both parties are entering into. In Aztec culture, when a man decided he fancied the idea of getting engaged, he has to speak to his parents who then consulted with community elders. Approaches were made to the family concerned and, if accepted, the engagement was in place. Before the wedding could be held, the soothsayer was consulted as to lucky wedding days. If the couple married on a bad day, their union was doomed. This whole wedding game sounded like it involved so many people in the marriage, and even the day of marriage plays such a critical role in the marriage itself. I wonder if this still holds true in the modern context, say in Singapore culture. Are we still bounded by past beliefs and traditional norms, like where a marriage is not just about two people, and how marriage dates are so instrumental in the success of a marriage?
Just wanna end this post with an interesting marriage proposal :)
Bernanke's lecture series
14 years ago
Yes, very intriging. How did kneeling down come about as an act of marriage proposal?
ReplyDeleteVery nice video. Hmmm, interesting thoughts. How are rules written? Maybe it started out as trial and error and best method was passed down the generation. Who knows...
ReplyDelete