Friday, February 12, 2010

Spoken Discourse

Today in class we learnt about speech events in greater detail, and analyzed the spoken discourse of speech events. One specific example is that of telephone conversations, and how they often followed a unspoken structure. Participants of a telephone conversation take turns to speak, and that in fact is a kind of pattern we subconsciously follow. We also looked at specifically Chinese phone openings and how they consisted of relation-oriented comments and other-oriented questions. I feel that the reason why Chinese often begin in such a manner because it shows we treasure relationship a lot. By showing concern and finding out more about the person's well-being first, it shows that Chinese generally emphasize more on relationship than task.

Another interesting discovery is that technology plays a significant role in how we communicate nowadays. Just like we discussed in class today that with the invention of Caller-ID, less people begin the conversation by asking the other party's identity or stating their identity. Also, young people nowadays prefer to converse through SMS, facebook or MSN as compared to real-life face-to-face conversations. I feel that through this various communication channels, our expressions and conversations may become shorter and more brief. Also, people will start to have less awareness and sensitivity to real-life expressions, body language and non-verbal communication. Perhaps, from today onwards, I should try to cut down on my sms and facebook, but make more meaningful conversations with my friends in real life. :)

Something to de-stress after a busy week :

4 comments:

  1. Hi Zhi Fei

    Yes I agree with you that Chinese phone conversations begin in a certain manner because it shows we Chinese treasure relationship more.

    Just like my phone conversation with my grandfather that I highlighted in my third entry, he would begin by asking me whether have I eaten.

    In the past, I thought that it was really a weird question to ask. When I was younger, I even questioned by parents as to why he does not get straight into the topic. Now I understand the whole concept better.

    By the way, the youtube clip about the "cock" drink was really hilarious! I heard it on Perfect 10 awhile back (I think), didnt expect someone to make a video out of it. Ha Ha!

    Guang Yi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you the increase in the use of technology that enables us to communicate more efficiently. But the downside of it all, is the lack of personal contact and individuals become highly desensitised of what others feel.

    And the outcome, people become more individualistic and and think of no one else but themselves. Furthermore, emails/chatlogs can give rise to misunderstandings when the text we send gets misinterpreted by the recipient. It's no wonder some married couples get divorced through SMS. =S

    Btw, the video was superbly funny. =). Singaporeans should really brush up on our spoken English. Else, we'll be ridiculed ... =S

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing the video, which dramatizes the use of Singlish in phone conversations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah. the video is entertaining:). However, I feel it is more of broken english perse, and bad pronuncation, not singlish. haha. but well, singlish is basically evertythng tht is not good english?

    ReplyDelete