Friday, March 5, 2010

Cultural Systems: Components & Representation

Wow this is one of the most interesting classes I have attended since the start of this semester. Really appreciate Dr Deng efforts to prepare this class and even the video for us to watch. :) Mainly issues and topics in the area of culture are discussed in the class. The class started off with Dr Deng asking us to list down the top 10 characteristics of Singapore culture. Many interesting local cultures surfaced, like Kiasuism, Singlish, using tissue to chop tables, eating supper and even being driven by efficiency in the system. This got me thinking as to how these distinctive local cultures are formed and why they appear in Singapore. One of the possible reasons is the ideals, habits and values SIngaporeans develop as we progress, as well as the multi cultural environment which creates alot of diversity and cross-cultural heritage.

As we moved on, Hofstede's dimensions of cultural variability were introduced to us. There are 5 main dimensions, but I decided to focus on 2 of them for exploration in this blog post. Firstly, I shall touch on the dimension of individualism vs collectivism. I am not surprised Singapore is ranked 53 in the area of individualism. It shows that we are more group-oriented and emphasizes more on teamwork. I beleive that is largely due to the fact that the government emphasises on democracy and building up a nation together. Every single person plays a part and together we can make a difference. Oh no, I start to feel like I am making some sort of propanganda for Singapore haa. But anyway, I feel that a truly beautiful society should have a balance between both individualism and collectivism. Individualism allows each person to have their own freedom and to pursuit his or her own well-being. However, being part of a group allows us to build strong relationships and develop ourselves fully as a whole. So, if we can strike a balance, that will be the ideal case.

Next, I shall talk about my perception on power distance. From the definition I got from http://www.geert-hofstede.com/, Power distance is the extent to which the less powerful members of organizations and institutions (like the family) accept and expect that power is distributed unequally. This represents inequality (more versus less), but defined from below, not from above. As I looked through the list of ranking, I noticed Asian countries are ranked high while Scandinavian countries are ranked at the lower end. Perhaps in Asian countries, people are more comfortable with where they are at, and do not exactly strive to fight more for their own rights. We are okay with our current state of being, and the amount of power and influence that we have. On the other hand, people in Western countries believe more in individual rights and getting more or even equal power as others in higher positions. For me, I believe equality in a society is something which cannot n will never be achieved, as there will always be others in authority and others who are not. This world is not a fair world, after all.

To end off, I shall leave you with a quote from Hofstede himself as food for thought:

" Culture is more often a source of conflict than of synergy. Cultural differences are a nuisance at best and often a disaster." --Prof. Geert Hofstede, Emeritus Professor, Maastricht University.

N of course a video to brighten up your day :)

1 comment:

  1. Great point. A society does need to strike a balance between individualism and collectivism. Thanks for sharing the website and the quote. Great work.

    ReplyDelete