Thursday, April 1, 2010

General Summary of GEK1036

This is the final post for this blog and I am a little sad and apprehensive that this module is coming to an end soon. To sum it up, I have never really seen GEK1036 as so much of a module, but more of a discovery and learning experience in cross-cultural communication. The way the class is being conducted, with the many diverse viewpoints and comments on topics, interesting videos being shown, as well as the interactive discussions we had really made me enjoy this GEK1036 experience even more.

Particularly, two of the topics discussed in class really caught my attention and interest, and they are speech events and cross-gender communication. Speech events can come in so many types, and the analysis of some of these speech events really made me understand and grasp the concepts and components better. Just like in my research experience on the speech event of food ordering in NUS canteens, a simple activity like that can actually bring out many insights into cultural and sociological differences and similarities. It made me look at daily conversations and communicative situations in a different light, and understand the ways different people communicate in various situations. As for the cross-gender communication, I liked it alot because it gave us the opportunities to questions and challenge the way we communicate with the opposite sex, and understand where each of the genders are coming from. I am sure I can take home many things from these 2 lessons and hopefully apply some of these in my daily life.

Lastly, I just wanna say I never regretted taking this module, and also wanna thank Dr Deng for his commitment and passion towards teaching this class. The efforts put in planning the tutorials and finding the interesting videos make a difference. Perhaps a small feedback will be to allocate more discussion, presentation, and role playing into the class, so as to make it more lively. Nonetheless, all in all, I will definitely recommend other friends to take this "non=examinable" and "non-stress" module, which will also greatly benefit one's development and learning.

Wishing everyone a wonderful n blessed Easter weekend.

1 comment:

  1. I agree :) This course has indeed been more of a learning journey for us in terms of developing vauable insights and developing skills to communicate with with people from different cultural and racial groups. I also enjoyed the many interesting discussions and videos all of us had during class. Glad I took this module too :)

    ReplyDelete